Grilled Prosciutto, Soppressata and Mozzarella Panini
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon plus 1teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons minced freshoregano leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 thin slices Italian ciabatta bread, or other sliced rustic bread
6 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
2 ounces thinly sliced soppressata
- Whisk 1/4 cup of the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl to blend.
- Arrange the slices of bread on a flat work surface and, using a brush, divide the vinaigrette equally among 1 side of each slice.
- Divide the mozzarella equally among half of the bread slices.
- Divide the prosciutto and soppressata evenly among the mozzarella-topped slices, then place the remaining 6 slices of bread on top of the meats, vinaigrette sides down, to form sandwiches.
- Position the grill to the closed grill position and preheat to the level III setting.
- Brush the outsides of each sandwich with some of the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the grill is preheated, open the grill and place half of the sandwiches on the bottom grill plate.
- Close the grill so that the upper grill plate rests on the sandwiches and cook the sandwiches until the bread is golden brown with nice grill marks and the cheese is melted through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
- Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.